Jan. 12, 2018
Nampa, Idaho --- It was a Spartan sweep in the pentathlon at the Ed Jacoby Invitational on Friday as San José State's Kolbi Smith and Nicole Iloanya finished first and second place respectively.
In her first pentathlon of the season Sims finished with a lifetime-best 3,664 points. In her first pentathlon ever Iloanya totaled 3,347 points which gave her the second-place result by three points.
Sims, a junior from Eagle, Idaho, had three life-time bests out of the five events. She clocked an 8.94 in the 60-hurdles, cleared the bar in the high jump at 1.69 meters and had a 5.50-meter result in the long jump.
"It was an impressive meet for Kolbi," said Director of Track & Field Jeff Petersmeyer. "I thought she had a chance at the record. She came up a little short of that but had a big PR over a couple hundred points. That is really good."
An injury in last year's indoor season opener forced Iloanya to miss the rest of the year. But she came back strong on Friday with a big indoor personal-record 5.71 meters in the long jump. Another solid mark for Iloanya was her 9.06 in the 60-hurdles.
"This being Nicole's first time competing in almost all of the events today, I thought she did fantastic," Petersmeyer said. "Having her back after missing last year and to PR in the event that she got hurt in is really big for her and the team. She is only going to get better from here."
The pentathlon at the Ed Jacoby Invite is only the beginning for the Spartans as they'll have a full slate of sprints and jumps throughout the day tomorrow. Live statistics are available .
FINAL PENTATHLON STANDINGS
- 3664 - Kolbi Sims, San José State
- 3347 - Nicole Iloanya, San José State
- 3343 - Annie Wright, George Fox
- 3211 - Allison Dickey, Nevada
- 3174 - Loghan Sprauer, Southern Oregon
- 3083 - Nicola Ader, Nevada
- 2958 - Lea Halmans, Nevada
- 2784 - Katie Conklin, Northwest Nazarene
- 2780 - Alissa Swilley, George Fox
1. Nicola Ader, Nevada, 8.87; 2. Kolbi Sims, San José State, 8.94; 3. Nicole Iloanya, San José State, 9.06.
1. Nicola Ader, Nevada, 1.75m; 2. Lea Halmans, Nevada, 1.69m; 2. Kolbi Sims, San José State, 1.69m; 5. Nicole Iloanya, San José State, 1.57m.
1. Annie Wright, George Fox, 11.50m; 2. Kolbi Sims, San José State, 10.39m; 3. Allison Dickey, Nevada, 10.30m; 4. Nicole Iloanya, San José State, 10.19m.
1. Nicole Iloanya, San José State, 5.71m; 2. Lea Halmans, Nevada, 5.60m; 3. 3. Kolbi Sims, San José State, 5.50m.
1. Loghan Sprauer, Southern Oregon, 2:29.38; 2. Annie Wright, George Fox, 2:30.37; 3. Kolbi Sims, San José State, 2:33.92; 6. Nicole Iloanya, San José State, 2:51.83.