SAN JOSE, Calif. - San José State football (1-2, 0-0 Mountain West) heads to Toledo (1-1, 0-0 MAC) on Saturday at 4:00 p.m. (PT) on ESPN+ and KTRB 860 AM.
- The Spartans head to Toledo to play the Rockets for the first time. The only time these two teams have played before was in the 1981 California Bowl. The Spartans went 1-1 against MAC foes a season ago.
- SJSU comes off a 59-3 win over Cal Poly on Saturday. The last Spartan 50-point win was on Sept. 3, 1988 when they took down New Mexico State 51-0. The 59 points were the most points scored for the Spartans since Sept. 9, 2016 when they scored 66 points against Portland State. The 56-point margin of victory is the largest in the modern era for the Spartans and was the most for the Spartans since 1949 when they beat the University of Mexico, 103-0. This was also the most points scored under head coach Brent Brennan.
- Chevan Cordeiro has 9,973 total passing yards during his career and is only 27 passing yards away until he hits 10,000 career passing yards. Cordeiro is sixth all-time on the Mountain West career passing yards list and is behind Andy Dalton for fifth who threw for 10,314 yards at TCU.
- Cordeiro has thrown five touchdowns this season and is eighth on the all-time Mountain West Conference list with 73 career touchdown passes. BYU's Max Hall owns the MW record after throwing for 94 touchdowns from 2007-09. Cordeiro is one touchdown from tying Nevada's Carson Strong for seventh.
- Cordeiro was named Mountain West Preseason Offensive Player of the Year and is This is the third year in a row the Spartans have had a Mountain West Preseason Player of the Year and Dallas Cowboys defensive end and SJSU star Villiami "Junior" Fehoko was named Mountain West Defensive Player of the Year last season.
- Redshirt freshman Matthew Coleman returned his first career punt for a 75-yard touchdown against Cal Poly (9/9). Coleman was named MW Freshman of the Week and it was the first punt return TD for the Spartans since Tre Jenkins took one back against Utah State on Nov. 10, 2018. The Spartans lead the nation punt return average and are the only MW school to return a punt for a TD this season.
- The attendance for the Spartans' game against No. 18 Oregon State was 20,337, the most since Nov. 30, 2013 against Fresno State. It is the 25th-highest attended game at San José State and was the first sellout since Aug. 23, 2003 against Grambling State.
- Nick Nash had a career-high seven receptions against No. 18 Oregon State and is 13th in the country and second in the Mountain West with 13 receptions this season. He comes off career-highs with three touchdown receptions and 89 yards receiving against No. 6 USC. He is the second Spartan with three touchdown receptions in a game under Cordeiro at quarterback (Elijah Cooks, 11/19/22).
- Nash earned his first Mountain West Offensive Player of the Week honors following his three touchdown performance against No. 6 USC (8/26) and his second touchdown was the No. 2 play on SportsCenter.
- The Spartans' 267 rushing yards against Cal Poly (9/9) were the most since Dec. 5, 2020 against Hawai'i when they ran for 288 yards. It was also the first time with at least five rushing touchdowns for the Spartans since Sept. 9, 2016 against Portland State.
- According to 24/7 sports, the Spartans have played the No. 2 high school quarterback in 2020 in DJ Uiagalelei (OSU), the No. 2 high school quarterback in 2021 Caleb Williams (USC) and the No. 3 high school quarterback in 2021 Sam Huard (Cal Poly).
- The last time SJSU played ranked teams in back-to-back weeks was In 2010 when the Spartans played at No. 1 Alabama and No. 11 Wisconsin to start the season. (9/4, 9/11). The Spartans ended up playing five ranked teams that season.
- Brennan led the Spartans to his second bowl game as head coach and is the first head coach to lead the Spartans to two bowl games since Claude Gilbert in 1986 and 1987 last season. Brennan is the first SJSU head coach to lead the Spartans to two above .500 seasons since Terry Shea in 1990 and 1991.
- Brennan is in his seventh season at SJSU and is tied for second all-time with Robert Bronzan (1950-56). Dudley S. DeGroot (1932-39) and Robert Titchenal (1957-64) both coached at SJSU for eight seasons.
- The Spartans are 7-1 in their last eight home games. SJSU went 6-0 at home last season for the first time since 1978 and it was their first six win home season since 2006 when they went 6-1 at home.
- It was the first time in school history last season that football and men’s basketball qualified for NCAA postseason in the same academic year in 2022-23 and the first time since 1986-87 both men's basketball and football finished over .500.
NEXT GAME: The Spartans host Air Force on Friday, Sept. 22, 2023 at 7:30 p.m. (PT) and it can be seen on FS1 and heard on KTRB. Tickets are available here.
- Tuesday: Practice 10:00 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.
- Brent Brennan Weekly Press Conference: 1 p.m. (SAC)
- Wednesday: Practice 10:00 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.
- Thursday: Practice 8:30 a.m. - 10:00 a.m.
- Friday: No media availability