SAN JOSE, Calif. - San José State football (0-2, 0-0 Mountain West) hosts Cal Poly (1-0, 0-0 Big Sky) on Saturday at 1:00 p.m. (PT) on NBC Sports Bay Area and KTRB 860 AM.
- The Spartans will play on NBC Sports Bay Area for the fourth time in the past three seasons.
- The attendance for the Spartans' game against No. 18 Oregon State was 20,337, the most since November 30, 2013 against Fresno State. It is the 25th-highest attended game at San José State and was the first sellout since August 23, 2003 against Grambling State.
- Chevan Cordeiro has 9,759 total passing yards during his career and is only 241 passing yards away until he hits 10,000 career passing yards.
- Following his three touchdown passes against USC (8/26), Cordeiro is now eighth on the all-time Mountain West Conference list with 71 career touchdown passes. BYU's Max Hall owns the MW record after throwing for 94 touchdowns from 2007-09.
- Cordeiro was named Mountain West Preseason Offensive Player of the Year and is This is the third year in a row the Spartans have had a Mountain West Preseason Player of the Year and Dallas Cowboys defensive end and SJSU star Villiami "Junior" Fehoko was named Mountain West Defensive Player of the Year last season.
- Nick Nash had a career-high seven receptions against No. 18 Oregon State and is 13th in the country and second in the Mountain West with 13 receptions this season. He comes off career-highs with three touchdown receptions and 89 yards receiving against No. 6 USC. He is the second Spartan with three touchdown receptions in a game under Chevan Cordeiro at quarterback (Elijah Cooks, 11/19/22).
- Nash earned his first Mountain West Offensive Player of the Week honors following his three touchdown performance against No. 6 USC (8/26) and his second touchdown was the No. 2 play on SportsCenter.
- Falling to No. 18 Oregon State was the Spartans first home loss since Nov. 25, 2021 after going 6-0 at home ;ast season for the first time since 1978 and it was their first six win home season since 2006 when they went 6-1 at home.
- The Spartans finished last season with only nine turnovers (seven interceptions, two fumbles) which was good for best in the Mountain West and third in the nation. The Spartans ended the season with a +11 turnover margin (sixth in the country, tops in MW) after going -10 in the 2021 season. The Spartans two fumbles last season were an SJSU record best.
- SJSU gained 20 turnovers last season which was good for second in the Mountain West.
- The Spartans finished last season with 39 sacks which was good for tops in the MW and seventh in the country. The 39 sacks were the most since 41 sacks in 2012 and the SJSU record is 58 sacks in 1986.
- According to 24/7 sports, the Spartans will have played after Saturday's game against Cal Poly the No. 2 high school quarterback in 2020 in DJ Uiagalelei (OSU), the No. 2 high school quarterback in 2021 Caleb Williams (USC) and the No. 3 high school quarterback in 2021 Sam Huard (Cal Poly).
- The last time SJSU played ranked teams in back-to-back weeks was In 2010 when the Spartans played at No. 1 Alabama and No. 11 Wisconsin to start the season. (9/4, 9/11). The Spartans ended up playing five ranked teams that season.
- Brent Brennan led the Spartans to his second bowl game as head coach and is the first head coach to lead the Spartans to two bowl games since Claude Gilbert in 1986 and 1987 last season. Brennan is the first SJSU head coach to lead the Spartans to two above .500 seasons since Terry Shea in 1990 and 1991.
- Brennan just started his seventh season at SJSU and is tied for second all-time with Robert Bronzan (1950-56). Dudley S. DeGroot (1932-39) and Robert Titchenal (1957-64) both coached at SJSU for eight seasons.
- With Sam Olson's first fumble recovery for a touchdown, It was SJSU's first fumble recovery for a touchdown since Jamal Scott scored against Cal Poly on September 2, 2017.
- Branden Alvarez not only caught his first touchdown pass against No. 18 Oregon State (9/3), but he also caught his first two career receptions.
- The Spartans were just 1-of-31 schools to make a football bowl game and a NCAA baseball regional in 2022-23.
- It was the first time in school history last season that football and men’s basketball qualified for NCAA postseason in the same academic year in 2022-23 and the first time since 1986-87 both men's basketball and football finished over .500.
NEXT GAME: The Spartans head to Toledo on Saturday, Sept. 16, 2023 at 4:00 p.m. (PT) and it can be seen on ESPN+ and heard on KTRB.
- Tuesday: Practice 10:00 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.
- Brent Brennan Weekly Press Conference: 1 p.m. (SAC)
- Wednesday: Practice 10:00 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.
- Thursday: Practice 10:00 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.
- Friday: No media availability