SAN JOSE, Calif.—The San José State men's basketball program announces three personnel changes as Ed Gipson has joined the program as an assistant coach, Austin Sleight has been promoted to recruiting coordinator and Jared Swanson returns as the director of basketball operations, as announced by Spartan head coach Tim Miles.
Ed Gipson, Assistant Coach
Gipson spent seven years as the head men's basketball coach at AZ Compass Prep, just outside of Phoenix, Ariz. He helped the program to the GEICO national championship game for the first time in school history and his team's made national tournaments two other years.
- Coaching Experience
- 2017-23 – Head Coach – AZ Compass Prep
- 2015-16 – Head Coach – Chandler High School
- Summer 2015 – PowerHouse Hoops 16U Elite Head Coach
- 2009-14 – Associate Head Coach - Robert Morris University (Illinois)
- Ralph Ellison Charter School – 17-3 record
- Assistant Coach – Bishop Noll Institute (Hammond, Ind.)
- Playing Career
- Played at Los Angeles Southwest College in 2001 before transferring to Highland Community College in Illinois, going 34-9 in 2001-02
Gipson is a graduate of Calumet College of St. Joseph.
"We are excited to add Ed Gipson to our program. He's a high energy man who's had great national success at AZ Compass. I believe he'll be an excellent addition to our staff and look forward to working with him," said Miles.
Austin Sleight, Recruting Coordinator
Sleight has been a member of Spartan basketball staff for the past two seasons, serving as the video coordinator before his promotion to recruiting coordinator. He came to San José State after serving as the graduate assistant and video coordinator for the 2020-21 season at Stephen F. Austin. Prior to that, he spent four seasons with Miles at the. University of Nebraska as the team's head manager.
"Austin has done an excellent job as our video coordinator and with our social media," said Miles. "He has done excellent work with our on-campus recruiting efforts and is a valued member of our team. Austin will handle the additional responsibilities well."
Jared Swanson, Director of Operations
Swanson returns to the Spartans in a similar role that he served for the 2013-14 season. He spent the past three seasons as an assistant coach at Green Bay. Swanson was the associate head coach at Northern State University where the team won both the NSIC Regular Season and Tournament Championship.
- Coaching Experience
- 2020-23 – Assistant Coach, Green Bay
- 2019-20 – Associate Head Coach, Northern State University
- 2017-19 – Assistant Coach, Ohio University
- 2014-17 – Director of Basketball Operations, Ohio University
- 2013-14 – Director of Basketball Operations, San José State
- 2011-13 – Director of Basketball Operations North Dakota State
- 2010-11 – Graduate Assistant Coach, Boise State
- Playing Career
- Played two seasons (1998-2000) at Fergus Falls Community College where was an all-state and all-region pick
- Transferred to North Dakota for the 2000-01 season before finishing at Concordia College (Moorhead, Minn.) from 2001-03 where he was a first team All-Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference honoree
- After his college career, played professional basketball in Australia for four years, winning two League-MVP awards while leading the league in scoring for two years
Swanson graduated from Concordia in 2003 with a bachelor's degree in social studies education and received his master's degree in physical education from Idaho State University in 2011.
"I am excited to add Jared Swanson to our staff. He has great experiences in coaching and operations which will be very valuable for our program," said Miles. "I've known Jared for over 25 years and watched him grow as a player, as a coach and in support staff roles. He approaches every phase the same way – with excellence!"