NEW HAVEN, Conn. - San José State quarterback Chevan Cordeiro was named to the 2023 Walter Camp Award watch list, announced by the organization on Friday. Cordeiro was named the 2023 Mountain West Preseason Offensive Player of the Year earlier this summer and also was named to the Maxwell Award and Davey O'Brien National Quarterback Award watch lists.
The Walter Camp Player of the Year award is the nation’s fourth-oldest individual college football accolade.
“We are proud to continue the great work of Walter Camp and recognize the best college football players in the nation,” Foundation president Tony Mortali said. “This watch list is a great start to what is shaping up to be another exciting year of college football.”
The 2023 watch list will be narrowed to 10 semi-finalists in mid-November. The 2023 Walter Camp Player of the Year recipient, which is voted on by the 133 NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision head coaches and sports information directors, will be announced on ESPN’s College Football Awards Show in December. The winner will then receive his trophy at the Foundation’s 57th annual national awards banquet in New Haven, Conn. in early 2024.
Chevan Cordeiro, QB, Senior, Honolulu, Hawai'i/Saint Louis HS
- Mountain West Preseason Offensive Player of the Year (2023)
- Mountain West Football Preseason All-Conference Team (2023)
- All-Mountain West Second Team (2022)
- Mountain West Offensive Player of the Week (10/10/22, 10/03/22, 11/29/21, 11/11/19)
- Threw for a career-high 3,251 yards and a career-high 23 touchdowns in 2022 which both were tops in the Mountain West, also ran for a career-high nine touchdowns which are most for SJSU QB in modern era
- Threw for 366 yards with three touchdowns and ran for another against Eastern Michigan in Famous Idaho Potato Bowl (12/20/22)
Click here to build your One Spartan Nation membership.