ATLANTA - San José State safety Tre Jenkins was named to the 2023 Wuerffel Trophy watch list, announced by the organization on Thursday. Jenkins was named to the Shrine Bowl 1000 list earlier this summer.
College Football’s Premier Award for Community Service, and one of the most meaningful awards in collegiate sports, The Wuerffel Trophy is named after Danny Wuerffel, the 1996 Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback from the University of Florida who parlayed his success on the football field into a lifetime of service. The Wuerffel Trophy embodies Danny’s commitment to being a humanitarian, while honoring student-athletes who are inspired to serve others and make positive impacts on society.
“The life changing impact of thinking of others before ourselves is so rewarding, and it’s truly inspiring to see so many student-athletes recognize this, and use their platform for good,” said Danny Wuerffel. “College Football players across the country are making a difference in their communities, and I’m excited to see so many incredible stories associated with the 2023 Wuerffel Trophy candidates.”
Tre Jenkins, S, Graduate Student, Stockton, Calif./St. Mary's HS
- Second Team Preseason Athlon Sports All-Mountain West Defense (2023)
- Third Team Phil Steele's 2023 Preseason Mountain West Team
- NFF Hampshire Honor Society (2023)
- All-Mountain West Honorable Mention Selection (2021, 22)
- Campbell Trophy Semifinalist (2022)
- Finished season with 60 tackles, career-high seven tackles for loss and tied a career-high with two interceptions
- Led team with nine tackles and one QBH vs. Hawai'i (11/26)
Click here to build your One Spartan Nation membership.