SAN JOSE, Calif. - The San José State men's soccer team (1-0-2, 0-0-0 WAC) will host No. 4 Stanford (2-0-0, 0-0-0 Pac-12) at 7 p.m. on Monday, Sept. 4. Tickets can be purchased here or at the ticket booth at the Spartan Soccer Complex. For fans purchasing tickets at the ticket booth, they will receive $5 off if they show a ticket from SJSU's football game against Oregon State on Sunday. The first 50 spectators will receive free ice cream. The match will be broadcast on NBC Sports Bay Area.
LAST MATCH IN REVIEW
- Angel Iniguez continued his hot start to the season with a goal to lead the Spartans in a 1-1 draw against the University of San Francisco.
- Anthony Guzman produced the assist on the goal, his first point of the year.
- Iniguez led the Spartans with three shots, all of which were on target.
- David Sweeney made five saves.
- Joel Garcia, Kasper Poulsgaard, Josh Redfield, and Niklas Dossman each played all 90 minutes.
WHERE THE SPARTANS RANK
- Iniguez leads the WAC in points with six (two goals and two assists).
- Inigiuez was named the WAC Offensive Player of the Week for the first week of the season.
- Iniguez and Gaku Nishimura are tied for the conference lead in assists with two each.
- Beau Leroux leads the conference in shots with 10.
- Sweeney has the best save percentage in the conference (.786) and the best goals-against average (1.00).
- With 17 career shutouts, Sweeney is one shutout away from tying the all-time record for clean sheets by a Spartan goalkeeper.
- SJSU career leaders in shutouts:
- 1. 18 Chris Humphreys (1997-2000)
- 18 Gary St. Clair (1970-74)
- 3. 17 David Sweeney (2019-present)
- 4. 15 Jonathan Lester (2009-11)
- 15 Sean Keohane (1976-77)
- With 230 career saves, Sweeney has recorded the fourth-most career saves by a Spartan goalkeeper.
- SJSU career leaders in saves:
- 1. 253 Keith Bateman (1992-95)
- 2. 242 John Olejnik (1980, 82-84)
- 3. 238 Brandon Main (1994-97)
- 4. 230 David Sweeney (2019-present)
- 5. 225 Jonathan Lester (2009-11)
- The Stanford Cardinal are ranked No. 4 in the country after opening the season with a 3-1 win over No. 8 Creighton and a 5-1 victory over No. 17 Georgetown.
- In 2022, the Cardinal played to a record of 12-2-6 and were eliminated in the second round of the NCAA Tournament in a penalty-kick loss to No. 12 UNCG.
- The Spartans have a 27-35-8 all-time record against the Cardinal.
- The two most recent matchups between the two schools were a 0-0 draw in 2021 and a 4-0 Stanford win in 2022.
- The first-ever match held at the Spartan Soccer Complex was between SJSU and Stanford on Aug. 25, 2017. With 1,028 people in attendance, it was the largest-ever crowd at the Spartan Soccer Complex for a men's soccer match.
- Stanford's head coach, Jeremy Gunn, played for the Spartans' head coach, Simon Tobin, at CSU Bakersfield from 1989-92. Following his playing career, Gunn was an assistant coach for Tobin for six years during which the Roadrunners made four NCAA Division II Tournament appearances and won the NCAA Division II national title in 1997.
Click here to build your One Spartan Nation membership with season tickets.