SAN JOSE, Calif. - The San José State men's soccer team (1-1-2, 0-0-0 WAC) will travel to Moraga, Calif. on Friday, Sept. 8 for a matchup against the Saint Mary's Gaels (2-1-1, 0-0-0 WCC). The match is slated to start at 5 p.m. and can be viewed on ESPN+.
LAST MATCH IN REVIEW
- The Spartans fell 2-0 to the No. 4 Stanford Cardinal on Monday, Sept. 9. In the most recent United Soccer Coaches poll on Sept. 4, the Cardinal moved up to No. 1 in the nation.
- The two teams played in front of a sold-out crowd of 1,559, breaking the record for attendance for a men's soccer match at the Spartan Soccer Complex. The previous record was 1,028 on Aug. 25, 2017 for a match which also featured SJSU and Stanford.
- The Spartans limited the Cardinal to their lowest-scoring output of the season. Stanford's first two matches of the year were a 3-1 win over No. 8 Creighton and a 5-1 victory over No. 17 Georgetown.
- David Sweeney led the Spartans with three saves.
- Joel Garcia Jr. picked up two yellow cards in the match and will serve his suspension against the Gaels.
WHERE THE SPARTANS RANK
- Angel Iniguez is tied for second in the WAC in points with six (two goals and two assists).
- Iniguez was named the WAC Men's Soccer Offensive Player of the Week on Aug. 29.
- Iniguez and Gaku Nishimura are tied for the conference lead in assists with two each.
- Beau Leroux leads the conference in shots with 11.
- Sweeney has the third-best save percentage (.737) and the third-best goals-against average (1.25).
- With 17 career shutouts, Sweeney is one shutout away from tying the all-time record for clean sheets by a Spartan goalkeeper.
- SJSU career leaders in shutouts:
- 1. 18 Chris Humphreys (1997-2000)
- 18 Gary St. Clair (1970-74)
- 3. 17 David Sweeney (2019-present)
- 4. 15 Jonathan Lester (2009-11)
- 15 Sean Keohane (1976-77)
- With 233 career saves, Sweeney has recorded the fourth-most career saves by a Spartan goalkeeper.
- SJSU career leaders in saves:
- 1. 253 Keith Bateman (1992-95)
- 2. 242 John Olejnik (1980, 82-84)
- 3. 238 Brandon Main (1994-97)
- 4. 233 David Sweeney (2019-present)
- 5. 225 Jonathan Lester (2009-11)
VS. SAINT MARY'S
- The Saint Mary's Gaels are 2-1-1 this season and are coming off a 0-0 draw against FDU on Monday night.
- The Spartans have a 20-16-2 all-time record against the Gaels but have not defeated them since a 2-0 win in 2018.
- In 2022, the Gaels defeated the Spartans, 4-0.
Click here to build your One Spartan Nation membership with season tickets.