SAN JOSE, Calif. - The San José State men's soccer team (5-4-4, 2-1-1 WAC) will play two matches at home this week, against the California Baptist Lancers (4-4-2, 2-0-0 WAC) and the Grand Canyon Antelopes (6-4-2, 1-1-1 WAC). The Spartans will play the Lancers on Thursday night at 7 p.m. in a match presented by Habana Cuba and the Antelopes on Sunday at 1 p.m. On Sunday, the Spartans will honor the team's graduating seniors with a ceremony before the match. Tickets for the matches can be purchased here; youth 12 and under get in free on Sunday.
LAST WEEK IN REVIEW
- The Spartans went on the road last week, falling 2-0 at UNLV on Thursday but bouncing back with a 3-0 win over Utah Tech on Sunday.
- Sweeney made four saves against UNLV and five saves against Utah Tech.
- Gaku Nishimura led the Spartans offensively in the 3-0 win, assisting on the first goal and scoring the second.
- With the win, the Spartans moved into second place in the WAC standings.
WHERE THE SPARTANS RANK
Overall Season (13 Matches)
- The Spartans lead the WAC in assists this season with 24.
- Angel Iniguez leads the conference in assists with six.
- The Spartans have produced the third-most goals with 18.
- Sweeney is second in the conference in saves with 41.
- The Spartans have the fourth-best attendance average in the WAC, averaging 820 fans per home match.
- Iniguez was named the WAC Men's Soccer Offensive Player of the Week on Aug. 29.
Conference Matches Only (4 Matches)
- The Spartans lead the WAC in shutouts in conference play, recording a shutout in two of their four matches.
- The Spartans have the best goals-against average at (0.75) among teams who have played more than two conference matches.
- The Spartans have the second-best attendance average in conference play, averaging 560 fans per home conference contest.
- Sweeney broke two Spartans' all-time records last week.
- He became the Spartans' all-time leader in saves during the loss to UNLV and now has 260 career saves.
- He also became the Spartans' all-time leader in shutouts with his 19th career clean sheet in the win over Utah Tech.
VS. CALIFORNIA BAPTIST
- Thursday's match against California Baptist will be a rematch of last year's WAC Championship Match which the Lancers won via penalty kicks.
- This season, the Lancers are 4-4-2 overall and 2-0-0 in conference play.
- The Lancers are coming off multiple 3-0 wins, first over Grand Canyon and then over UTRGV.
- The Spartans have a 1-3-2 all-time record against the Lancers.
- Sweeney has earned two shutouts against the Lancers in his career.
VS. GRAND CANYON
- The Grand Canyon Antelopes are 6-4-2 overall and 1-1-1 in conference play.
- The Antelopes tied 1-1 against No. 17 SeattleU and earned a 4-1 win over UTRGV last week.
- The Spartans have a 5-4-2 all-time record against the Antelopes.
- In 2022, the Spartans fell 1-0 to the Antelopes in Phoenix.
- Kasper Poulsgaard is the only current Spartan who has ever recorded a point against the Antelopes, scoring the winner in a 2-1 decision in 2021.
Click here to build your One Spartan Nation membership with season tickets.