This Week’s Schedule
Both matches can be viewed on the Mountain West Network or on the Mountain West app.
San Jose State
- The Spartans enter the week with an 11-8 overall record and 2-4 in the MW.
- SJSU is looking to stop a two-match losing streak after falling at Wyoming and Colorado State last week.
- San José State begins a three-match homestand with two matches this week and hosts New Mexico next Thursday, October 19.
Jiana Lawson ranks eighth nationally in total blocks with 95. She is 27th in blocks per set at 1.36 ps.
The Spartans find themselves among the top-100 statistical leaders in nine categories.
Team (top-50 rankings)
- Team Kills 29th 929
- Team Assists 31st 857
- Total Attacks 49th 2,476
- Team Blocks 51st 158.0
- Kills per set 55th 13.27 ps
- Assists per set 63rd 12.24 ps
- Attacks per set 82nd 35.37 ps
- Team Aces 88th 108
- Blocks per set 94th 2.26 ps
Spartan Head Coach Todd Kress
- Head coach Todd Kress is in his first season at the helm of the program.
- Came to San José State after two coaching stints at Fairfield University where he led the program to five NCAA Tournament appearances
- In his 28th year as a head coach with a 528-322 coaching record in 28 years
- Currently 24th in the NCAA among active head volleyball coaches with his 528 wins
- The Broncos enter Thursday night’s match with a 9-8 overall record and 5-2 MW mark.
- Head coach Shawn Garus is in his 15th season at the school.
- Paige Barsch is ranked in the top-10 nationally in eight categories - 2nd in points per set and service aces, third in aces per set and points, fourth in kills per set, fifth in total kills and sixth in attacks per set and total attacks.
- The all-time series is tied at 22-22, but San José State won both matches last season.
- The Aggies enter Saturday’s match with an 13-5 overall record and a 6-1 MW mark and sit atop the conference standings after defeating Boise State, 3-1, Tuesday night.
- Head coach Rob Neilson is in his fourth season at the helm of the program.
- Colorado State leads the overall series, 19-9, but the Spartans won both meetings last season.
- Utah State leads the overall series, 26-24-1. The two teams last met in the 2022 MW Volleyball Championship match in Moby Arena on November 25, 2022. The Aggies claimed the championship, 3-1. The Spartans won the first set 26-24 before USU won the next three. Jiana Lawson and Blaire Fleming led the Spartan blocking attack with four block assists each.
San José State continues at home next week, hosting New Mexico on Thursday the 19th at 6 p.m., at Spartan Gym inside the YUH Complex. The team then goes on the road for three matches, beginning at Air Force on Saturday the 21st at 12 p.m. PT, followed by matches at Fresno State on the 26th at 6 p.m., and at Nevada on the 28th at 1 p.m.
All home matches are played at Spartan Gym inside the YUH Complex. Admission is free for all home matches.