SAN JOSE, Calif. - The San José State men's soccer team (6-5-4, 3-2-1 WAC) will battle the 13th-ranked team in the country, the Seattle Redhawks (9-2-3, 4-0-1 WAC), on Saturday night at 7 p.m. in Seattle. Watch the contest on ESPN+. With 10 points on the season, the Spartans are currently in fourth place in the WAC standings with only two matches remaining. The top six in the conference will qualify for the WAC Tournament which will take place in Las Vegas Nov 5-11.
LAST WEEK IN REVIEW
- The Spartans fell 2-0 to California Baptist on Thursday, Oct. 12 but responded with a 1-0 victory over Grand Canyon on Sunday, Oct. 15.
- Riccardo Scarafia scored the only goal in the win over Grand Canyon.
- David Sweeney, the Spartans all-time leader in both saves and shutouts, made five saves in each match.
WHERE THE SPARTANS RANK
Overall Season (15 Matches)
- The Spartans lead the WAC in assists this season with 24.
- Angel Iniguez leads the conference in assists with six and Gaku Nishimura is tied for second with five.
- Sweeney has recorded the second-most shutouts with three and the third-most saves with 51.
- Iniguez is third in overall points with 16 (five goals and six assists).
Conference Matches Only (Six Matches)
- The Spartans lead the WAC in shutouts with three.
- Sweeney leads the conference in saves in conference play with 24.
- The Spartans have the fourth-best attendance average in conference play, drawing 590 fans per home conference contest.
- The Redhawks moved up from 20th last week to No. 13 in this week's United Soccer Coaches Rankings.
- The Redhawks are coming off a 1-0 win over UTRGV and a 3-0 win over California Baptist last week.
- In 2022, the Spartans defeated the Redhawks twice. They won 1-0 in the final match of the regular season and 4-0 in the semifinals of the WAC Tournament.
- Anthony Guzman scored two goals in the tournament victory.
- Sweeney made 14 saves across the two matches.
- The Spartans have a 10-11-4 all-time record against the Redbirds.
IN THE NEWS
- The San Francisco Chronicle produced a story on the Spartans head coach Simon Tobin and his recruitment of first-generation college students (view story).
- The Spear wrote about David Sweeney for Senior Day (view story).
Click here to build your One Spartan Nation membership with season tickets.