SAN JOSE, Calif. - The San José State men's soccer team (6-6-4, 3-3-1 WAC) will wrap up its 2023 regular season with a showdown on the road against the UTRGV Vaqueros (4-9-1, 1-5-1 WAC) on Thursday night. Kickoff is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. CT/4:30 p.m. PT in Edinburg, Texas on ESPN+. The Spartans are currently in fifth place in the WAC and need to finish in the top six to make the WAC Tournament which will take place in Las Vegas from Nov. 5-11.
SEVEN TEAMS VYING FOR SIX SPOTS
- Two teams in the conference have clinched a berth in the WAC Tournament (Seattle U and California Baptist) and five other teams still have a shot to secure one of the four remaining spots.
- Here are the WAC standings as of Wednesday, Oct. 26:
- *Seattle U (5-0-1, 16 pts)
- *California Baptist (4-1-1, 13 pts)
- Utah Tech (4-3-0, 12 pts)
- UNLV (3-2-2, 11 pts)
- San José State (3-3-1, 10 pts)
- Utah Valley (2-2-2, 8 pts)
- Grand Canyon (2-3-1, 7 pts)
- The Spartans hold the tiebreakers over Utah Tech and Grand Canyon with wins during the season. They drew Utah Valley and lost to Seattle U, California Baptist and UNLV.
- Of the seven teams, SJSU and Utah Tech are the only two who have just one match remaining in the regular season; all the other teams have two.
LAST WEEK IN REVIEW
- The Spartans fell 2-1 to the 12th-ranked team in the nation, Seattle U, on Saturday night.
- Niklas Dossmann scored off a corner kick by Gaku Nishimura in the first half.
- Beau Leroux made his first appearance for the Spartans since Sept. 4.
WHERE THE SPARTANS RANK
Overall Season (16 matches)
- The Spartans lead the WAC in assists this season with 25.
- Nishimura and Angel Iniguez lead the conference with six assists each.
- Iniguez ranks third in overall points with 16 (five goals and six assists).
- Iniguez was named the WAC Men's Soccer Offensive Player of the Week on Aug. 29.
Conference Matches Only (seven matches)
- The Spartans lead the WAC in shutouts with three.
- David Sweeney is second in the conference in saves in conference play with 28.
- The Spartans have the fourth-best attendance average in conference play, drawing 590 fans per home conference contest.
- Sweeney is the Spartans' all-time leader in both saves and shutouts with 274 and 20 respectively.
- The UTRGV Vaqueros are in eighth place in the conference with four points.
- The Vaqueros are coming off a 3-3 tie to Air Force on Thursday and a 4-0 loss to Utah Valley on Saturday.
- In 2022, the Spartans won 3-0 over the Vaqueros. Leroux led the way by scoring two goals while Mario Barocio netted the other.
- The Spartans have a 6-2-2 all-time record against the Vaqueros.
Click here to build your One Spartan Nation membership with season tickets.