This Week’s Schedule
Mountain West Tuesday Night Block Party
“Two big matches for us this week.”— SJSU VOLLEYBALL (@SanJoseStateVB) November 13, 2023
Hear from @toddkressvb as the team hosts UNLV Tuesday night as part of the Mountain West Block Party and San Diego State Thursday for Senior Night. #AllSpartans pic.twitter.com/FoCE0gRZR0
Both matches can be viewed on the Mountain West Network and on the MW APP.
San Jose State
San José State is currently 12-17 on the season and 3-13 in the Mountain West. The Spartans are looking to break a five-match losing streak, dating back to a five-set win at Fresno State on October 26.
Jiana Lawson continues to make her presence known along the net as she ranks 12th nationally in total blocks with 132. She is 36th in blocks per set at 1.27 ps.
Spartan Head Coach Todd Kress
- Head coach Todd Kress is in his first season at the helm of the program.
- Came to San José State after two coaching stints at Fairfield University where he led the program to five NCAA Tournament appearances
- In his 28th year as a head coach with a 529-331 coaching record in 28 years
- Currently 24th in the NCAA among active head volleyball coaches with 529 wins
- Nine-time MAAC Coach of the Year
- The Rebels enter Tuesday night’s match with a 17-11 overall record and 9-7 MW mark.
- Head coach Malia Shoji is in her first season at the helm of the program.
- Isabel Martin, the 2022 MW Player of the Year, leads the team in kills with 452, 4.35 ps. She is the current MW Offensive Player of the Week.
- UNLV leads the overall series, 17-8, and won the earlier meeting this season, 3-0, on September 21 in Las Vegas
San Diego State
- The Aztecs enter Thursday’s match with a 9-18 overall record and 4-12 MW mark.
- Head coach Brent Hilliard is in his fourth season on The Mesa.
- Taylor Underwood leads the team with 308 kills, 3.11 per set.
- San Diego State leads the all-time series 24-18, and won 3-1 on September 23 in San Diego.
LAWSON ENTERS TOP-10 SEASON BLOCKING LISTS: Jiana Lawson entered the San Jose State top-10 season lists for block assists and total blocks. She starts the week in 10th place in block assists with 109 and could move quickly up the list this week. She is also 10th in total blocks with 132.
SPARTAN BLOCK IN TOP-10: This year’s team is one of the top-10 in blocking in school history. With 242 blocks, the team ranks sixth on the list. The school record is 361 blocks, set by the 1983 team.
- Total Blocks Year
- 1. 361.0 1983
- 2. 331.5 1988
- 3. 314.0 1984
- 4. 272.5 1990
- 5. 266.5 2022
- 6. 242.0 2023
- 7. 241.5 2013
- 8. 240.0 1997
- 9. 235.5 2007
- 10. 227.5 2004