This Week’s Schedule
Live Stream/TV Broadcast
- Thursday’s match will be broadcast on the Mountain West Network or on the Mountain West App.
- Saturday’s match will be broadcast on NBC Sports Bay Area and streamed live on the Mountain West Network for those not in the Bay Area. Chris Sylvester handles the play-by-play duties with Jonah Malkin as the color analyst.
- Admission is free to all San José State volleyball home matches.
- Thursday’s match is designated as the AAPI Match, representing those with Asian American Pacific Islander heritage
- Also on Thursday, free pizza will be available to students between sets 2 & 3.
San José State
- The San José State volleyball team is looking to start November strong with home matches this week against Colorado State on Thursday and Wyoming on Saturday.
- This month, the team will play four of its six final regular-season matches at Spartan Gym, inside the YUH Complex on the corner of Fourth and San Carlos Streets.
- San José State is currently 12-13 on the season and 3-9 in the Mountain West.
- The Spartans ended a six-match losing streak last week with a 3-2 win at Fresno State on October 26. The team then fell in five sets at Nevada, 3-2, on Saturday, battling back from a 2-1 deficit to send the match to a fifth set.
- Jiana Lawson continues to make her presence known along the net as she ranks 11th nationally in total blocks with 120. She is 36th in blocks per set at 1.30 ps.
The Spartans find themselves among the top-100 statistical leaders in five categories.
Team (top-50 rankings)
- Team Blocks 52nd 210.0
- Total Attacks 53rd 3,273
- Team Kills 60th 1,188
- Team Assists 60th 1,006
- Attacks per set 98th 35.19 ps
Spartan Head Coach Todd Kress
- Head coach Todd Kress is in his first season at the helm of the program.
- Came to San José State after two coaching stints at Fairfield University where he led the program to five NCAA Tournament appearances
- In his 28th year as a head coach with a 529-327 coaching record in 28 years
- Currently 24th in the NCAA among active head volleyball coaches with 529 wins
- Nine-time MAAC Coach of the Year
- The Rams enter Thursday’s match with a 14-10 overall record and 8-5 MW mark after defeating Wyoming, 3-1, at home Tuesday night.
- The team is in third place in the MW standings, half a game in front of Fresno State and Boise State.
- Head coach Emily Kohan is in her first season at the helm of the program but has been an assistant and associate head coach with the Rams since 2015.
- Colorado State leads the overall series 19-9 and won the earlier meeting, 3-0, on October 7. The Spartans got 12 kills from Nayeli Ti’a, eight digs from Alessia Buffagni and 17 assists, five kills and seven digs from Brooke Slusser.
- The Cowgirls enter Saturday’s match with a 16-8 overall record and 5-8 MW mark.
- The team is in eighth place in the MW standings, just one win from sixth place and a spot in the MW Tournament.
- Head coach Kaylee Prigge is in her first season at the helm of the Wyoming program after serving as the associate head coach the past two seasons.
- Wyoming leads the overall series, 15-8 and won 3-0 in Laramie on October 5. Letizia Cammillucci and Nayeli Ti’a each had 11 kills in the match.
San José State goes on the road for the final two home matches of the year. The Spartans play at MW leader Utah State on Thursday the 9th at 7 p.m. MT/6 p.m. PT, followed by a Saturday match at Boise State beginning at 12 p.m. MT/11 a.m. PT.