SAN JOSE, Calif. – Freshman Jyah LoVett scored 13 points in her collegiate debut to lead San José State (0-1, 0-0 MW) as they fell 55-47 to Santa Clara (1-0, 0-0 WCC) on Monday night in their season opener.
- LoVett was also strong on the glass, pulling down six rebounds.
- Freshman Maya Anderson had a big debut for the Spartans, scoring nine points off the bench.
- Finau Tonga saw some action in her first appearance for the Spartans, pulling down nine rebounds.
- The defense held the Broncos to 55 points in the game on just 34-percent shooting from the field. Santa Clara only scored less than 60 points once during the 2022-23 season.
- The Spartans forced Santa Clara to turn the ball over 18 times with nine steals, led by LoVett with four.
- Marisa Davis-Jones scored eight points in the contest, followed by Amhyia Moreland with seven.
UP NEXT: The Spartans are back in action on Thursday when they host Bellarmine at 5 p.m. The game will be broadcasted live on NBC Sports Bay Area.
Click here to build your One Spartan Nation membership.