DAVIS, Calif. – Shay McDowell hit her first career home run and had two doubles to lead San José State (0-4, 0-0 MW) softball in a 5-3 loss to Saint Mary’s (3-0, 0-0 WCC) and a 7-2 loss at UC Davis (2-1, 0-0 Big West) from La Rue Field Saturday in the second day of the NorCal Kickoff.
Game One vs. Saint Mary’s
- Aubrie Thomas had an RBI single in the first inning, knocking in the Spartans first run of the season and giving the Spartans their first lead of the season.
- The Spartans cut the lead to 5-3 after being down 5-1, plus had two runners on in the top of the seventh inning but came up just short.
- A. Thomas went 2-for-4 in the game.
- Carly Cummings crossed the plate in the first inning for her first run scored as a Spartan and had a pair of walks.
- Lacie Ham came in to pitch in the bottom of the second inning with two on and no outs and got out of the inning by striking out a pair and causing a ground out.
- Ham finished the game going 5.0 IP with a season-high six strikeouts.
- Reina Zermeno hit her first RBI single of the season in the fifth inning and went 2-for-3.
- Zermeno later scored in the fifth inning off a wild pitch.
- Haley Reeve had her first career stolen base and scored her first career run also in the fifth inning.
- McDowell went 2-for-2 with two doubles for her first career hits at SJSU.
- Ashley Rico went 1-for-3.
- Makayla Freshour had her first career hit and went 1-for-2.
- Aneesa Almaguer and Taylor Squires both pinch hit and both had their first hits of the season.
- The Spartans had a season high 10 hits.
- SJSU left nine runners on base.
- Saint Mary’s scored at least one run in the first four innings.
Game Two at UC Davis
- McDowell hit a solo shot in the top of the first inning for her first as a Spartan and it's the first home run of the season for the Spartans as well.
- Rico had her first extra base hit of the season with a triple and then scored right afterwards in the second inning.
- Almaguer had her first RBI of the season hitting home Rico.
- Zermeno hit her first extra base hit of the season with a double in the third inning.
- UC Davis scored four runs in the third inning and three in the fifth to put the game away.
UP NEXT: The Spartans finish the NorCal Kickoff on Sunday at 9:30 a.m. taking on Middle Tennessee State from La Rue Field at UC Davis.
Click here to build your One Spartan Nation membership.