SAN JOSE, Calif. - San José State softball (0-0, 0-0 Mountain West) heads to the NorCal Kickoff hosted by UC Davis and Sac State for five games to open the 2024 season as the Spartans look to get back to the Mountain West Championship game for the second season in a row. Friday's 2:30 p.m. start against Sac State will be seen on ESPN+.
- Game 1: Friday at 9:30 a.m. vs. Cal Poly from Shea Stadium at Sac State
- Game 2: Friday at 2:30 p.m. at Sac State from Shea Stadium on ESPN+
- Game 3: Saturday at 9:30 a.m. vs. Saint Mary's from La Rue Field at UC Davis
- Game 4: Saturday at 12:00 p.m. at UC Davis from La Rue Field
- Game 5: Sunday at 9:30 a.m. vs. Middle Tennessee State from La Rue Field at UC Davis
NEWS AND NOTES
- In 2023, the Spartans went to the Mountain West Championship game and had 27 total wins which included 11 conference wins which were the most for SJSU since 2019.
- Also in 2023, the Spartans played in the NISC postseason tournament for the first time and the first postseason appearance for the Spartans since 2017.
- Lacie Ham led the Spartans with 123 strikeouts in 2023 which were good for fourth in the Mountain West Conference.
- Reina Zermeno had a terrific freshman campaign in 2023 finishing with a .313 batting average while only striking out 11 times in 134 at-bats.
- Zermeno hit .615 with a slugging percentage of 1.077 and had a home run, eight hits, five runs scored, four RBIs, three doubles, plus stole a pair of bases and had 10 putouts at UNM (3/24-26/23)
- The Spartans go into the season with two sets of sisters. Adrianna and Ahmiya Noriega return after putting up big numbers in their first season together in 2023. Joining Aubrie Thomas this season is her sister Korie who is a graduate transfer from UCSB.
- The Thomas' have longstanding ties with SJSU. Their father Shawn played defensive back for the Spartans football team and their mother Sarah was a catcher on the softball team.
- Makenzie Hutchinson is in her second season with the Spartans after transferring from Middle Tennessee State. Hutchinson started 41 games for SJSU in 2023 and had 21 RBIs with three home runs and six doubles.
- The Spartans host the Silicon Valley Classic I tournament starting with Seattle at 1:30 p.m. on Feb. 16 from Spartan Softball Stadium and it can be seen on the Mountain West Network.
Click here to build your One Spartan Nation membership.