SAN JOSE, Calif. - The San José State women's soccer team (1-2-1, 0-0-0 Mountain West) will host the UC Irvine Anteaters (2-2-0, 0-0-0 Big West) on Thursday, Aug. 31 at 7:30 p.m. The Spartans will then wrap up the week by taking on the Saint Mary's Gaels (2-2-0, 0-0-0 WCC) in Moraga, Calif. on Sunday, Sept. 3 at 3 p.m. Thursday's match will be the second half of a doubleheader at the Spartan Soccer Complex as the Spartans' men's soccer team will battle the University of San Francisco Dons at 5 p.m. Tickets for the doubleheader can be purchased here.
LAST WEEK IN REVIEW
- The Spartans traveled to the East Coast last week, earning a split in Massachusetts. They won 1-0 over Northeastern and lost 2-0 to Boston College.
- Bella Flocchini scored the match-winner over Northeastern, her team-leading second goal of the season.
- Bente Pernot earned the shutout in the win over Northeastern.
WHERE THE SPARTANS RANK
- Bente Pernot leads the Mountain West conference with 29 saves.
- Pernot's 11 saves against Santa Clara were a conference single-match high.
- Flocchini has netted the fourth-most goals in the conference with two.
- With nine career shutouts, Pernot is tied with Meghan Maiwald (2010-11) and Adrienne Herbst (2003-05) for fifth in Spartans' history for most career clean sheets. The all-time leader is the Spartans' current assistant coach, Paige Simoneau.
- SJSU career leaders in shutouts:
- 1. 21 Paige Simoneau (2015-18)
- 2. 16 Zoe Makrigiannis (2012-15)
- 3. 11 Amee Brown (1996-99)
- 4. 10 Nina Butera (2007-09)
- 5. 9 Meghan Maiwald (2010-11)
- 9 Adrienne Herbst (2003-05)
- 9 Bente Pernot (2022-present)
- With 101 career saves, Pernot is in the top 10 for most career saves by a Spartans' goalkeeper. She is nine saves away from tying Marissa Dayton (2006-07) who is currently in ninth with 110. The all-time leader is Amee Brown (1996-99) who recorded 363 stops in her career.
VS. UC IRVINE
- The UC Irvine Anteaters are 2-2-0 this season with wins over Saint Mary's and Pacific and losses to No. 11 Stanford and No. 1 UCLA.
- In 2022, the Anteaters reached the third round of the NCAA Tournament, knocking off USC and Brown in the opening two rounds.
- The Anteaters won 3-0 over the Spartans on Sept. 2, 2022.
- The Spartans have a 2-9-0 all-time record against UC Irvine.
VS. SAINT MARY'S
- The Saint Mary's Gaels are also 2-2-0 in 2023. They defeated UC Davis and Idaho State and lost to UC Irvine and Stanford.
- In 2022, the Gaels went 5-6-7 and did not qualify for the WCC Tournament.
- The Gaels won 3-0 over the Spartans on Aug. 28, 2022.
- The Spartans have an all-time record of 4-10-1 against Saint Mary's.
Click here to build your One Spartan Nation membership with season tickets.