SAN JOSE, Calif. - No. 14 San Jose State Men's Water Polo co-hosts the 2023 Julian Fraser Memorial Tournament with Santa Clara. The Spartans will start play on Friday at Santa Clara University and then will host Saturday and Sunday at the SRAC pool. Teams competing include - Fresno Pacific, Princeton, Long Island University, Harvard, Pepperdine, Bucknell, University of the Pacific, Santa Clara, Fordham, Cal Baptist, CSU Fullerton, and Brown. The Spartans will play the first game of the tournament on Friday at 10:00 a.m. against Fordham at Santa Clara.
THIS SEASON IN REVIEW
- Bence Szabo scored two goals and drew six exclusions in the No. 13 Spartan's 12-7 win against No. 16 Santa Clara.
- Brendon Gyapjas was on fire against No. 16 Santa Clara recording 12 saves, one steal, and one assist on the afternoon.
- Mark Kis scored three goals and drew two exclusions to lead SJSU in their 12-6 win against No. 12 UC Santa Barbara.
- Szabo scored the game-winning goal to help the Spartans take down No. 4 UC Davis 8-7 at the Aggie Invite on September 9th.
- Goalkeeper Jaime Steingraf recorded nine saves in the match against No. 4 UC Davis.
- The Spartans outscored the Mustangs in the third and fourth quarters after being down 2-3 at the half.
- Nikola Nikolic made three assists and scored two goals to lead SJSU in their 20-3 win against UC Merced on September 10th.
- Laszlo Szieben scored two goals and three assists against No. 15 LMU.
WHERE THE SPARTANS RANK
- The Spartans are currently ranked 14th nationally right behind California Baptist University.
- SJSU is currently 4-6 this season.
- Szabo was named to the West Coast Conference (WCC) pre-season team.