MALIBU, Calif. - Manteja Bosic scored four goals to lead the San José State mens water polo team to the first-ever West Coast Conference Championship in their 9-6 victory over CBU Sunday afternoon. With the win the Spartans have earned an automatic qualification to the 2023 NCAA Mens Water Polo Championship.
- Bence Szabo scored the first goal of the match with the assist from Nikki Mathieson.
- Bosic made his 5-meter penalty to put the Spartans in the lead at 2-1 at the end of the first quarter.
- The Spartans scored three goals in the second quarter to make the score 5-1 at halftime.
- Laszlo Szieben, Gal Haimovich and Louis Fehrenson also scored during the match.
- Goalkeeper Brendon Gyapjas was on fire recording 18 saves in the goal.
- For his efforts this weekend, Gyapjas was named the tournament's Most Valuable Player.
- The Spartans are the first-ever WCC Champion as the conference just added men's water polo as a sport for this school year.
- Bosic, Szieben and Gyapjas were all named to the All-tournament team.
UP NEXT - The Spartans will find out Sunday night who they will face in the NCAA Championships as the selection show is set to run at 8:59 p.m. on NCAA.com. SJSU has not played in the tournament since 1973. The 2023 NCAA Championships will be held December 1-3, hosted by USC at the Uytengsu Aquatics Center in Los Angeles, Calif.