TEMPE, Ariz. - Darcy Spark recorded two goals and three steals to lead the No. 19 San José State women's water polo team in their 9-5 loss to No. 7 Arizona State. In the second match of the day, goalkeeper Grace Smith was on fire recording 7 saves to lead the No. 19 Spartans in their 5-3 win over No. 12 UC Santa Barbara.
- Emma Ruzic, Jennine Osorio, and Sinia Plotz also scored during the match.
- Maiken Pardon, Osorio, and Plotz contributed one assist each.
- The Spartans drew nine exclusions to gain multiple power play opportunities.
UC SANTA BARBARA
- Freshman Spark scored the first goal of the game off an assist from Plotz.
- Renee Flemming hit the back of the net to put the Spartans up 2-1 at the end of the first period.
- The Spartan defense was strong during the third quarter, not letting in a single Guancho goal.
- Plotz gave the assist to Lucy Miszewski on a power-play to tie the game 3-3 at 4:46 in the fourth quarter.
- Spark scored back-to-back goals late in the fourth quarter to make the final score 5-3 and lead the Spartans to the win.
- SJSU drew a total of six exclusions to gain multiple power play opportunities.
UP NEXT: The Spartans are back in action tomorrow Sunday, Feb. 11th at the ASU Invitational in Tempe, Ariz.