LOS ANGELES – Nick Nash had a career-high 89 receiving yards to go along with a career-high three touchdowns, while Tre Smith had a career-high with 1.5 sacks and 2.5 tackles for loss on Saturday as San José State (0-1, 0-0 MW) fell 56-28 in its opening game of the season to No. 6 USC (1-0, 0-0 Pac-12) at the LA Coliseum Saturday night.
- The Spartans tied the game in the first quarter at 7-7 thanks to a one-yard rushing touchdown for Kairee Robinson.
- After the defense forced a USC punt late in the second quarter, SJSU added to their total with a 28-yard pass from Chevan Cordeiro to Nash with eight seconds remaining for their first touchdown of the season.
- Nash pulled in his second score of the game with 1:50 remaining in the third quarter with a miraculous 32-yard grab.
- Nash's third touchdown came in the third quarter when he connected with Cordeiro with 5:08 to go in the game.
- Nash is the first Spartan receiver to have three touchdowns vs. an AP Top-25 team since Chandler Jones scored three times against No. 16 Fresno State in 2013.
- Cordeiro finished the game at 21-for-38 with 198 yards passing, and three touchdowns. He also had 52 yards on the ground.
- Cordeiro's three touchdown passes puts him at 71 for his career and eighth in Mountain West history.
- The longest play of the night came from Quali Conley with a 57-yard rush with 5:50 left in the game.
- Conley finished with 108 yards on the ground in his Spartan debut.
NEXT GAME: The Spartans host No. 18 Oregon State on Sunday, Sept. 3, 2023 at 12:30 p.m. and it can be seen on CBS and heard on KTRB presented by WEBCOR. Click here to purchase tickets as the new Spartan Athletics Center makes its game day debut.
Click here to build your One Spartan Nation membership.