SAN JOSE, Calif. - San José State men's water polo players, Bence Szabo, Mateja Bosic, and Bredon Gyapjas were named to the West Coast Conference all-conference teams on Wednesday morning. Szabo received first-team honors while Bosic was listed on the second-team, and Gyapjas received honorable mention honors.
"I am very proud of them I think they are having a really good season. Two of them being first years and one being a junior shows the future of our program is pretty bright. Bence and Mateja have been very dominant in offense the season and Brendon has been an impact player ever since he started for us. I'm excited for them and hopefully, they receive more of these titles in the future." Said interim head coach Gabor Sarusi.
Bence Szabo/ 2m / Jr / Budapest, Hungary / Kovacs Pal High School
- Ranked second on the team in goals scored with 31 total.
- Drew the most excursions on the team with 32.
- Scored the game-winning goal to help the Spartans take down No. 4 UC Davis 8-7.
- Scored two goals and drew six exclusions in the No. 13 Spartan's 12-7 win against No. 16 Santa Clara.
- Named to the Cuntino Watch List.
- Named to the West Coast Conference (WCC) pre-season team.
Mateja Bosic/ Dr / Fr / Zrenjanin, Serbia / Westcliff University
- Leads the team in goals scored with 33.
- Netted three goals in the Spartans 13-10 win over No. 5 Pepperdine.
- Recorded a career-high of four goals scored against LMU.
- Ranks first on the team in assists this season with 19.
- Has scored a goal in 18 matches this season.
Brendon Gyapjas/ GK / Fr / Kecskemét, Hungary/ Vörösmarty Mihály High School
- Tallied 125 saves this season with an average of 12 saves per game.
- Started in 11 matches this season.
- Recorded a career-high of 15 saves against No. 5 Pepperdine.
- Second-best statistics in the Hungarian First League at the age of 18.
- Placed seventh at the 2022 Hungarian Championship with Szeged.