IRVINE, Calif. - Bence Szabo of the San José State men's water polo team received the Cutino Watch List Award, announced by the organization on Thursday.
USA Water Polo and The Olympic Club have collaborated with the Association of Collegiate Water Polo Coaches (ACWPC) on the Cutino Award Watch List. The Peter J. Cutino Award, named in honor of the late Hall of Fame coach, recognizes the best player in men's and women's college water polo. This watch list was created in 2022 in an effort to help promote the college game, awareness of the honor, and the excellent play of athletes around the country. In no particular order, 20 athletes, as submitted by varsity college coaches around the country, are recognized for their outstanding play.
"We are very excited for Bence to be on the prestigious Cutino Award Watch List. It speaks highly of him since he is in his junior year. Bence is having an outstanding season, and hopefully, the rest of the season will continue to go well for him and our Spartans have a good case winning the Cunto Award." said interim head coach Gabor Sarusi.
Bence Szabo, Jr., Budapest, Hungary
- Named to the West Coast Conference (WCC) Preseason Team (2023).
- Leads the team in goals scored this season with 22.
- Named Gold Coast Conference Player of the Week after leading SJSU to five straight victories (10/27/22)
- All-Gold Coast Conference (GCC) Team (2022)
- ACWPC All-Academic Team (2021, 2022)
- Netted 22 goals throughout the season, to rank second on the team.
- Leads the Spartans by making 57 percent of shots on goal in 2022.